Cookies
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Swing Utah Forum Index -> Tech Support and Testing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Loulicious
unemployed

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 9:06 pm    Post subject: Cookies Reply with quote

Are they good or bad?

What are they?

And limit jokes pertaining to the edible cookie.

Thanks!
drfindley
DOOD

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

now that my friends is a cookie
DOOD

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

moderated: converted huge image to link because it was causing scrolling issues on computers with a less than huge resolution.

http://www.snl-e.salk.edu/fun/Frisbee%202000-02-05/cookie-fight.jpg

And these girls obviously couldn't decide on what a cookie is. Also that dough looks way to healthy to be a cookie. It makes eggplant look like a dessert!
DOOD

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This kid obviously knows what a cookie is, do you?
needs an intervention

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So much for no edible cookie jokes Rolling Eyes
Loulicious
unemployed

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew that would happen.

No really...answer my "technical" question...what is a cookies and is it good or bad?
drfindley
DOOD

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A cookie is apiece of information that a website stores on your computer. It can be both good and bad. For this website it stores your username and password so you don't have to type it in (or something of that nature), whichis good. Some shopping sites or evil sites (such as amazon.com) keep track of the pages you visit and the stuff you click on, and use it to gather your preferences so they can find out the best way to sell you on stuff.
Danger

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drfindley wrote:
Some shopping sites or evil sites (such as amazon.com) keep track of the pages you visit and the stuff you click on, and use it to gather your preferences so they can find out the best way to sell you on stuff.

Disclaimer: this got really long. I realize, drfindley, that your post was probably tounge in cheek and I've overreacted, but oh well. We need another cat fight or something.

So are "shopping sites" and "evil sites" like amazon.com two different things? Is not amazon.com a "shopping site"? Smile

There are a few ways to look at it. One can take the view "so they can find out the best way to sell you on stuff." Now, why is this bad? A better way to phrase this would be "so they can improve how they deliver content to me, making my online shopping experience an easier, faster, and more efficient one." They improve their site, their marketing, whatever. We get more of what we want and they stay in business. We're happy, they're happy, people around us are happy (because happiness spreads fo-shizzle), and it improves the economy as well!

Another example, say 4 million people visited site abc.com to find lots of neato information. abc.com was doing well - when one day it decided to use a service called Omniture. Omniture provides a tracking system that uses cookies to see how people use websites. abc.com finds out the trends in people's surfing and what kind of information they are seeking. abc.com changes their site to make it easier for people to find the information they are seeking. People now have a better website to use to find the information they are looking for. And SOMEHOW this is considered evil because gosh dang it I don't want lines of software code analyzing my surfing habits because really I am important enough for terrorists to find me, hunt me down, and put me on TV with Judge Judy or something equally as horrifying.

I accept all cookies in my web browsers. I do not think they are evil.

The whole "internet cookies are evil" started by paranoid people back when this "internet" thing was still very new. It's understandable. I mean, after all the idea that something could be storing your information is kinda scary. Especially when you know nothing about how this information is used. It continues to be spread today by people who recognized the ability to con some people into buying their products by removing cookies. For example, most ad-ware/spyware/malware software removal systems will flag cookies as tracking cookies. The main reason for this is because A) It makes their product look better and B) People still believe the hype about them.

So, why is a cookie a scary thing again? I'm really not sure. The only way a cookie can store personal information is if you give a website personal information. The information is stored on your computer and is a really tiny amount of info. A website can only read cookies that it set. If you give a website your info then who cares if it stores a tiny bit of that info on YOUR computer so it can access it again next time you visit. If you're going to be that paranoid stay off the internet. If you don't want a site to store cookies, disable them and suffer from an internet experience that doesn't always works like it could. Or, just don't give websites your information, after all, that's much more risky than a little cookie storing a few bytes of info on your hard drive.

So, they may track what I click on. Who cares. I make my living from the internet and I'm all for others doing the same.

whew. I really ranted there, didn't I?
drfindley
DOOD

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First a plug for the radiohead website, because they use cookies for a funny yet stupid purpose: http://www.radiohead.com/leave.php

Amazon.com is just evil. They may have changed their ways, but they used to up their prices on things that you like best. Slashdot has *tons* of stories on how amazon is evil http://slashdot.org/search.pl?tid=&query=amazon&author=&sort=2&op=stories

There are bad cookies that store your usernames, emails, names, address, phone numbers, and other personal information, and then they use that to spam you in many forms. These are bad.

In general though I don't really care much. I never check my cookies though, I just remove the bad ones w/ adawaree
needs an intervention

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been wondering....why do they call it a cookie? Cookie
J-Shizzle
HllywdStyle

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brittania wrote:

If you don't know, I'm not gonna tell you.
Danger

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drfindley wrote:
Amazon.com is just evil. They may have changed their ways, but they used to up their prices on things that you like best. Slashdot has *tons* of stories on how amazon is evil

Okay so amazon.com may be evil, but I still don't think cookies are.

Quote:
There are bad cookies that store your usernames, emails, names, address, phone numbers, and other personal information, and then they use that to spam you in many forms. These are bad.

Again, the only way a cookie can store your info is if you give the site your info. So what difference does it make if a site spams you because you gave it your e-mail address once, or because it gets it the second time you visit from the cookie that it set before with the information you gave it before and then spams you? Either way it's you that has to surrender your information. Firefox and IE do not know what my e-mail address is. There is no way for a site to set a cookie to obtain it. I have to give my e-mail address. Cookies can only store personal info when personal info is given.

While he says some things I don't agree with completely, I really like the last thing this guy says in "Are Cookies Bad?"
http://www.htmlgoodies.com/beyond/reference/article.php/3472661#are
Quote:
On another note... I enjoy asking people if they would ever give a credit card number over the Internet, even though great steps have been taken to ensure encryption of the numbers. Most people have a rather violent reaction against doing it.

They then hand their card to the waiter who walks into another room with it.

Laughing Laughing
popthestack
Danger

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brittania wrote:

"The state object is called a cookie, for no compelling reason."
PERSISTENT CLIENT STATE HTTP COOKIES Preliminary Specification

Of course, this site claims to have the real reason and says that Netscape's site is wrong:

"Cookies are named after the computer science term "magic cookie". - Lou"
http://www.dominopower.com/issues/issue200207/cookie001.html

Paraphrasing what that site says... "magic cookie" is a term used by Unix programmers. A magic cookie is "Something passed between routines or programs that enables the receiver to perform some operation."
Brittania
needs an intervention

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the song says it all, Adam:

C is for Cookie
Cookie GOOD for me

How can you argue with that?
popthestack
Danger

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brittania wrote:
"I don't want to jump in unless the music's thumping....I don't want to sit across the table from you wishing I could run"--Cake

Perhaps?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Swing Utah Forum Index -> Tech Support and Testing All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: