What IS Jazz? What IS swing?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Swing Utah Forum Index -> Music Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
T_Roach
not all roaches are bad


Joined: 17 Jun 2004
Posts: 3547
Location: SLC

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 3:51 pm    Post subject: What IS Jazz? What IS swing? Reply with quote

After reading this discussion on jazz and what not, I couldn't help look up some famous people's definitions of Jazz. Here's an excerpt:

wynton marsalis wrote:
Jazz music is freedom of expression with a groove. Jazz music is down-home and it's sophisticated. The feeling of jazz is like the feeling you get going into your favorite grandmother's house. You know there's all kind of things in there that you might not recognize, but's accumulated wisdom. The whole feeling of the house is warm. And it's a familiar place. You've been there before, and then when you sit down to that table to eat---well, everything is laid out for you.

Jazz objectifies America. It's an art form that can give us a painless way of understanding ourselves. That's really the best thing about art, really. You can learn about yourself and you can have a good time doing it. That's what jazz music does for you.

...

Jazz is dance music. The close you get to the body response, the more the music is going to swing and the better it's going to feel. The further you get away from the body response, the less good it feels. When Duke Ellington would play a dance and play one of his slow pieces he could see the romantic effect that his music had, and on the up-tempo songs, he could see a whole floor of people dancing and juking to his music. But if you're playing in a concert hall sometimes people seem to be afraid even to tap their feet or move their heads. You say to yourself, "What's happening?" You don't know if you're swinging or not."


Louis Armstrong, 1934 wrote:
DEAR FRIENDS FANS AND PUBLIC

As a lover of "Hot Music" as well as a player, I have been asked hunderds of times if I though "Hot Music" would die out. I said NO INDEED.

I should say: "Hot Music" shall last for ever.

There'll probably be new names for it, that's all. There has been several names since I can remember way back to the good ol'days in New Orleans, Louisiana, when Hot Music was called "Rag Time music", "Jazz Music", "Gut Bucket Music", "Swing Music" and now "Hot Music". So you see insetead of dying out, it only gets new names.

Folk,---take it from me---we couldn't live without a little SWING music now and then, mostly then.

No matter how much a person may like classical Music, they may like just as much Hot music. There's so many different ways to play Hot Music.

I won't add much. Writing articles---making speeches or anything other than SWINGING the good ol' Trumpet, I am really lost.

Here's SWINGING at you. Your truly: LOUIS "SATCHMO" ARMSTRONG


Last edited by T_Roach on Wed Feb 16, 2005 4:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
T_Roach
not all roaches are bad


Joined: 17 Jun 2004
Posts: 3547
Location: SLC

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fletcher Henderson wrote:
The band gained a lot from Louis and he gained a lot from us. [H]e really learned to read in my band, and to read in just about every key. [And] he made the men really swing-conscious with that New Orleans style of his.


Ken Burns wrote:
Armstrong changed all that, moving the music away from the two-beat feel made famous by the Original Dixieland Jazz Band toward the flowing, evenly distributed 4/4 that would one day become the pulsing heart of big band swing. It was only the first of his many gifts to American music.


Trumpeter, Max Kaminsky wrote:
Above all, above all the electrifying tone, the magnificence of his idesa and the rightness of his harmonic sense, his superb techique, his power and ease, his hotness and intensity, his complete mastery of his horn--above all this he had the swing. No one knew what swing was till Loiuis came along. It's more than just he beat, it's conceiving the phrases in the very feeling of the beat, molding and building them so that they're an integral, indivisible part of the tempo. The others had the idea of it, but Louis could do it; he was the heir of all that had gone before and the father of all that was to come.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
J-Shizzle
HllywdStyle


Joined: 07 Jan 2005
Posts: 1904
Location: Sand and Sun

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D C DowDell wrote:
The Definition of Jazz
What is Jazz Music?

Jazz - an American art form and an international phenomenon! Jazz is not the result of choosing a tune, but an ideal that is created first in the mind, inspired by ones passion and willed next in playing music. Jazz music is not found in websites or books or even written down in sheet music. It is in the act of creating the form itself, that we truly find Jazz.

An academic definition of Jazz would be: A genre of American music that originated in New Orleans circa 1900 characterized by stong, prominent meter, improvisation, discinctive tone colors & performance techniques, and dotted or syncopated rythmic patterns. But Jazz is so much more than that!

Art in general hosts an invitation for the viewer or listener to invest a personal attentiveness. Unlike other mediums, the nature of Music is tipped toward the emotional rather the intellectual. It is this personal connection with music and all art that enables the patron to experience what is being communicated, rather than just taking in the information. While all forms of music share this quality, Jazz, with it's unique characteristic of collective improvisation, exemplifies it.

Most genres of music involve the listener into the realm of the completed work as it was scored, Jazz draws the onlooker to a deeper league, that of a partnership, so to speak, of being along when each new phrase is created, when each inspired motive is often the interactive result of audience involvement. Jazz music's dynamic is it's "newness" which can be attributed to one thing - improvisation.

While Classical music may strive to conform the musical tones to orchestral sonorities, Jazz music thrives on instrumental diversities; the player's individual "sound" becoming the desired proficiency. this is where the passion is, a kind found no where else.

Like the self motivating, energetic solos that distinguish the genre, Jazz continues to evolve and seek new levels of artistic expression. In slightly over one hundred years, evolution has given birth to approximately two dozen distinct Jazz styles. Jazz music draws from life experience and human emotion as the inspiration of the creative force, and through this discourse is chronicled the story of it's people. Jazz musicians and those that follow the genre closely, can indeed be thought of as an artistic community complete with it's leaders, spokesmen, innovators, aficionados, members and fans.

"The real power of Jazz... is that a group of people can come together and create... improvised art and negotiate their agendas... and that negotiation is the art" - Wynton Marsalis from 'Jazz, a film by Ken Burns.'

"Man, if you gotta ask you'll never know" - Louis Armstrong


Last edited by J-Shizzle on Fri Feb 18, 2005 8:19 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
T_Roach
not all roaches are bad


Joined: 17 Jun 2004
Posts: 3547
Location: SLC

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suede J. Slick wrote:
Quote:
The Definition of Jazz
"Man, if you gotta ask you'll never know" - Louis Armstrong


HA! I was looking for that exact quote! Thanks Suede!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
J-Shizzle
HllywdStyle


Joined: 07 Jan 2005
Posts: 1904
Location: Sand and Sun

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Problem...

Check out www.apassion4jazz.net

Check out the photo on http://www.apassion4jazz.net/harlem.html

That's one helluva lineup
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
T_Roach
not all roaches are bad


Joined: 17 Jun 2004
Posts: 3547
Location: SLC

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aw YA! I love that photo. That's one reason I enjoy The Terminal!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
J-Shizzle
HllywdStyle


Joined: 07 Jan 2005
Posts: 1904
Location: Sand and Sun

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trickeraspiration wrote:
The Terminal!


The movie? with Tom Hanks? I haven't seen it. What does it have to do with that photo?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jannie
regular


Joined: 20 Jan 2005
Posts: 124

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 2:32 pm    Post subject: 1 Reply with quote

Suede J. Slick wrote:
No Problem...

Check out www.apassion4jazz.net

Check out the photo on http://www.apassion4jazz.net/harlem.html

That's one helluva lineup


on http://www.harlem.org you can click on the photo and read the stories for each person in the photo...

AWESOME
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
T_Roach
not all roaches are bad


Joined: 17 Jun 2004
Posts: 3547
Location: SLC

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suede J. Slick wrote:
The movie? with Tom Hanks? I haven't seen it. What does it have to do with that photo?


Sounds like you'll have to see it. I think it would spoil it too much if I explained at all. If you like character studies, then you'll enjoy it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
D C DowDell
lurker


Joined: 17 Feb 2005
Posts: 2
Location: Southern California

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The Definition of Jazz
What is Jazz Music?

Jazz - an American art form and an international phenomenon! Jazz is not the result of choosing a tune, but an ideal that is created first in the mind, inspired by ones passion and willed next in playing music. Jazz music is not found in websites or books or even written down in sheet music. It is in the act of creating the form itself, that we truly find Jazz.

An academic definition of Jazz would be: A genre of American music that originated in New Orleans circa 1900 characterized by stong, prominent meter, improvisation, discinctive tone colors & performance techniques, and dotted or syncopated rythmic patterns. But Jazz is so much more than that!

Art in general hosts an invitation for the viewer or listener to invest a personal attentiveness. Unlike other mediums, the nature of Music is tipped toward the emotional rather the intellectual. It is this personal connection with music and all art that enables the patron to experience what is being communicated, rather than just taking in the information. While all forms of music share this quality, Jazz, with it's unique characteristic of collective improvisation, exemplifies it.

Most genres of music involve the listener into the realm of the completed work as it was scored, Jazz draws the onlooker to a deeper league, that of a partnership, so to speak, of being along when each new phrase is created, when each inspired motive is often the interactive result of audience involvement. Jazz music's dynamic is it's "newness" which can be attributed to one thing - improvisation.

While Classical music may strive to conform the musical tones to orchestral sonorities, Jazz music thrives on instrumental diversities; the player's individual "sound" becoming the desired proficiency. this is where the passion is, a kind found no where else.

Like the self motivating, energetic solos that distinguish the genre, Jazz continues to evolve and seek new levels of artistic expression. In slightly over one hundred years, evolution has given birth to approximately two dozen distinct Jazz styles. Jazz music draws from life experience and human emotion as the inspiration of the creative force, and through this discourse is chronicled the story of it's people. Jazz musicians and those that follow the genre closely, can indeed be thought of as an artistic community complete with it's leaders, spokesmen, innovators, aficionados, members and fans.

If you are going to quote me, my name is spelled "D C DowDell" Cool
_________________
If you dig Jazz visit
www.apassion4jazz.net
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
savoyboy
addict


Joined: 05 Aug 2004
Posts: 296
Location: in the Ether

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. That's well written. And you have a nice site, I might add.

Welcome to the Utah forums!
_________________
"Blessed are those who can laugh at themselves, for they will always be amused."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
savoyboy
addict


Joined: 05 Aug 2004
Posts: 296
Location: in the Ether

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D C DowDell wrote:
In slightly over one hundred years, evolution has given birth to approximately two dozen distinct Jazz styles.


That's an interesting comment. We get into some discussions here about various styles of dance, and how to music motivates a particular style. Out of some of the styles mentioned on your website (Bebop, Bosa Nova, Classic, Cool, Free, Fusion, Hardbop, Hot, Smooth, Swing), there are several that have inspired different styles of dance. And Swing alone has inspired many different styles of dance. Do you suppose that Swing music could also be subcategorized into various styles?
_________________
"Blessed are those who can laugh at themselves, for they will always be amused."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
J-Shizzle
HllywdStyle


Joined: 07 Jan 2005
Posts: 1904
Location: Sand and Sun

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D C DowDell wrote:
If you are going to quote me, my name is spelled "D C DowDell" Cool


Done.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
J-Shizzle
HllywdStyle


Joined: 07 Jan 2005
Posts: 1904
Location: Sand and Sun

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

savoyboy wrote:
D C DowDell wrote:
In slightly over one hundred years, evolution has given birth to approximately two dozen distinct Jazz styles.


That's an interesting comment. We get into some discussions here about various styles of dance, and how to music motivates a particular style. Out of some of the styles mentioned on your website (Bebop, Bosa Nova, Classic, Cool, Free, Fusion, Hardbop, Hot, Smooth, Swing), there are several that have inspired different styles of dance. And Swing alone has inspired many different styles of dance. Do you suppose that Swing music could also be subcategorized into various styles?


Well, it is. If you look at the definitions of all of the different Jazz styles, you'll see that we dance to Hot Jazz, Swing, Smooth Jazz, Bebop, and Classic Jazz - AT LEAST... So, I would say that it's not "Swing alone" that has inspired different styles of dance, but it's all of these styles.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
savoysultan
Lindy Caper


Joined: 20 Jan 2005
Posts: 2108
Location: The Oval Office

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's cool to have Suede J on the Forum cause i don't have to say anything .. he beats me to it all the time.. I can just kick back and watch him respond
_________________
"Are Y'all dancing to the beat? or the words"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Swing Utah Forum Index -> Music Talk All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum