new music for the u
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
savoyboy
addict

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so then what is "big band swing"? is that just a pseudonym?
or is swing different from jazz at all?
brysonswing
regular

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 2:11 pm    Post subject: good Reply with quote

well i like to many diffrent kinds of music i am trying to stay prity vintage but also mixing it up too if there are aney artist that i should absolutly have what should they be
savoyboy
addict

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bryson, i say take the suggestions that have been given so far (and any more that may come) and then add to that whatever you'd like to play. Play us the music you'd want to dance to and what you want to listen to while you're behind the booth. (of course, watching the crowd as was previously mentioned.)

We want to hear what kind of flavor you put into DJing, not just what another DJ would play. That'll make the dancers want to hear you DJ again.

So don't sweat it, bro. It'll be a good times.
J-Shizzle
HllywdStyle

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

loulicious wrote:
Don't like Jazz. Yuck! (To dance to, I mean)

Well, yes. Considering that Ragtime, Bebop, and Swing are all styles of Jazz, it does sound weird to say you like "vintage Swing", and not Jazz.

However, I'm assuming that you're referring to stuff like Jazz Fusion, Free Jazz, or Acid Jazz. Players like John Coltrane. I'd like to see someone dance to some Coltrane.. It'd be interesting.
savoyboy
addict

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a love supreme... a love supreme...
Nate
unemployed

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonjon wrote:
yeah, but then there were other great bands with inspiring soloists and it wasn't played the same. Not to mention that so many of the great jazz musicians of the day also did stints in various big bands.

Since I absolutely dislike Glenn Miller and similar big bands because they turned it into more of a commercial pop type music, because it was like they took the soul out of the music, I would say that is example of bad big band music. But I would definately still catagorize big band into jazz, since, you know, its still jazz.

I agree, that is why I said most. Like I said, the arrangements were written so that the soloists could shine. Getting jazz soloists in big bands was like getting power hitters in baseball: everybody wanted them, but the good ones were hard to come by. Once the big band era fell ended those soloists were the ones who made it big, while the rest took grocery jobs and such. Glenn Miller was a bad example, but you could say the same about TD or or Les Brown. They all had their good soloists but most didn't turn out to be superstars.
T_Roach
not all roaches are bad

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

savoyboy wrote:
so then what is "big band swing"? is that just a pseudonym?
or is swing different from jazz at all?

Just posted some quotes on this topic. Good question, its hard to describe what jazz truly is. Take a read and let me know what you think.
Loulicious
unemployed

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Vintage swing is jazz.

Quote:
But I would definately still catagorize big band into jazz, since, you know, its still jazz.

Quote:

Well, yes. Considering that Ragtime, Bebop, and Swing are all styles of Jazz, it does sound weird to say you like "vintage Swing", and not Jazz.

Whoa! Whoa! Whoa! Settle down! Shocked ( It's nice to see some life in this forum. )

By vintage swing I meant original recordings of big bands like Glen Miller, Tommy Dorsey, etc. and none of this Big Bad Voodoo Daddy stuff, though I must admit to having a crush on Indigo Swing.

As for "what do I mean by jazz?" I guess I should have been more specific. Y'all obviously are very knowledgeable on subject. I, on the other hand, am not. When I hear a song I like, I know that I like it, but couldn't tell you who played it or what the title is. Sure I recognize names like Tommy Dorsey, Glen Miller, Count Basie, etc. but couldn't tell you one song they played. Guess that makes me not a real lindy hopper (referring to other thread).

Is big band Jazz? Yeah, I think so. But obviously I was referring to a different sort.

Quote:
There are many different flavors of good jazz, and I think most of it is very danceable.

I didn't say it wasn't danceable. I just don't enjoy dancing to it.

Keep up the spice.

P.S. definately is spelled definitely
Jannie
regular

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 5:48 pm    Post subject: boyd Reply with quote

loulicious wrote:

I must admit to having a crush on Indigo Swing.

Have you purchased johnny boyd's solo album?

http://johnnyboyd.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
brysonswing
regular

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 10:23 am    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

thank you all for the help
Nate
unemployed

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for djing for us! Very Happy
popthestack
Danger

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, thanks for the music! I had fun!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Swing Utah Forum Index -> Venues All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: