Songs that sound familiar
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gumby
addict

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:35 pm    Post subject: Songs that sound familiar Reply with quote

What are a few songs you like to play to keep beginers excited? Songs that they would know from life outside of swing. EX: Lets fall in love, Lets call the whole thing off, sing sing sing. Stuff like that.
savoysultan
Lindy Caper

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swing songs? or non swing songs? (that's a question BTW not the name of a song..although it would be a cool song name)
gumby
addict

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking for things that swing minnie the moocher, maybe happy feet, things people would know from childhood or recent movies that are swing but they can say hey I know that song. After trying so hard to reach for the most eclectic swing songs I can find I want to make sure im not loosing touch with what the general public counts as well known. Id like to work those old familiar songs into my sets.
savoysultan
Lindy Caper

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well since it's utah, I'll have to say King of the Road. Beyond the Sea, Hello Dolly, Fever, Ain't that a kick in the head, Come fly with me, Fever, Just a Gigolo, and pretty much every song in the Hep Cool, and Swingin Cd compilation... As well as Anything "swingy" that's been on sesame street.. But I would probably not play any of these songs where they have a really hard core swing scene.. meaning it's a swing community that has stronger roots in Lindy and not Blues, (I.E Seattle) or you might get Jihad upon.. but you would get some good laughs for about 30 seconds..
gumby
addict

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank goodness I have not been invited to play out in Seattle yet LOL. No I was asking more so for the BYU kids I was thinking when I first started I knew rip van winkle and enjoyed hearing it every week because I felt like I knew what was coming and could prepare for it.
thing 1 and thing 2
unemployed

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gumby wrote:
Thank goodness I have not been invited to play out in Seattle yet LOL. No I was asking more so for the BYU kids I was thinking when I first started I knew rip van winkle and enjoyed hearing it every week because I felt like I knew what was coming and could prepare for it.

Most beginners don't really care what they are dancing to if it has an easy beat to hear. For those who come to the dances more often it's nice to change things up. The only reason people like the songs Sultan listed is b/c that's what they learned to or have a memory associated with.
savoysultan
Lindy Caper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man that's a really good point.. That is very true, I find that in my lessons I find myself using trad blues or jazz songs that have been remade by current artists like Duke Heitger, Evan Christopher, and the New Orleans Vipers, and they dance to them just fine without a problem.. I guess that way i'm also getting them accustomed to listening and dancing to Trad swing and jazz. I had a discussion in Seattle a year ago with Chris Chapman who teaches regularly up there and he said he uses nothing but swing and jazz to teach his weekly classes. He won't use any pop swing or lounge style music at all. If you want a few ideas of what to use PM me I can throw a few jazz bones your way to use depending on what you are teaching
gumby
addict

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with teaching to trad jazz and that the majority of what we play should be jazz that is not pop swing but I think its nice to throw songs into a set you are playing that (as thing 1 mentioned) bring back a memory or are a song they learned on.
Flatfoots_Rosebud
addict

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone probably knows my opinion on this, but <shrug>.

I think that we baby our Utah scene. I want to throw out all this silly modern stuff because it literally "ain't got that swing". There are some good bands out there who are putting out music patterned after traditional jazz, so let me exclude that. However, I really like the music that has a good bounce. If the music has bounce, what's to stop the dancers from bouncing!

Our current DJs are the ones who play the songs that the students are learning to. If we want to instill a love of jazz music and the dancing that goes with it (Lindy Hop), then we need to actually play jazz music! Yay!

gumby
addict

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I dont know why people think Im looking for modern songs if you read the posts im making im looking for trad jazz that people know look at the examples I posted instead of just skimming over things you will have a better Idea of the question Im asking. Just in case I wasnt clear I was looking for the songs that originally helped people fall in love with jazz not new hip songs.
savoysultan
Lindy Caper

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

little brown jug, In the mood, chatanooga choo choo, route 66, LOVE, atchison topeeka and santa fe, king porter stomp, sing sing sing, bei meir bist du schoen, swingtime in the rockies, zip gun bop, beyond the sea, knock me a kiss, flying home and finally jump session.. i think the latter was the turning point
i.rage
needs an intervention

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Little brown jug ? That is quite a coincidence...I fell for little brown jug too...still am hooked on it...I feel it relates to me Smile
hepkat
needs an intervention

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may want to consider watching a few old cartoons, like Tom & Jerry stuff. They are chock full of jazz & swing. It might give you some ideas.
hepkat
needs an intervention

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i.rage wrote:
Little brown jug ? That is quite a coincidence...I fell for little brown jug too...still am hooked on it...I feel it relates to me Smile

I think that's the "bear" talking.
hepkat
needs an intervention

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

savoysultan wrote:
... I had a discussion in Seattle a year ago with Chris Chapman who teaches regularly up there and he said he uses nothing but swing and jazz to teach his weekly classes.

Chris is cool. I got to dance with him, but I don't think I got to dance to anything he played. I stayed at his gf's house at CJ last year.
She had a thing or two to say about you, Sultan. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Swing Utah Forum Index -> Music Talk All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: