Nation wide bands
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flatfoot
needs an intervention

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:56 pm    Post subject: Nation wide bands Reply with quote

What are you top nation wide big band bands, swing combos, what ever?
And why?
popthestack
Danger

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loose Marbles
Boilermaker Jazz Band
Jonathan Stout Orchestra

Why? Because they are all awesome. Also, they know how to play for dancers like no one else.
savoysultan
Lindy Caper

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swingorillas!!! right californication?
Foehg
unemployed

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a fan of the Loose Marbles as well-- and my acquaintance with them is pretty much limited to that sequence of youtube videos, but I like what I hear.

I heartily recommend Mora's Modern Rhythmists. I was introduced to them through their cover of Wingy Manone's "Tarpaper Stomp", which Falty choreographed his jazz steps to for the Rockin' in Rhythm weekend.

Other than that, I'm not terribly familiar with the national music scene. I think I just haven't been around long enough. If I had to keep listing stuff, I'd be reduced to bands I've danced to live... Lunch Money, that army band that we've had for closing socials, and Tucson Swings.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Traci
unemployed

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

barbara morrison
Californicate
addict

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

savoysultan wrote:
Swingorillas!!! right californication?

Swingorillas.. For sure...

Another one of my top favorites would have to be Moxie Tonic...
popthestack
Danger

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foehg wrote:
I'm a fan of the Loose Marbles as well-- and my acquaintance with them is pretty much limited to that sequence of youtube videos, but I like what I hear.

They were at showdown this year. They were a.m.a.z.i.n.g. The youtube videos are awesome, they're even more awesome live. That girl can sing.

Foehg wrote:
I heartily recommend Mora's Modern Rhythmists. I was introduced to them through their cover of Wingy Manone's "Tarpaper Stomp", which Falty choreographed his jazz steps to for the Rockin' in Rhythm weekend.

Their website didn't work for me, but I found a myspace page for them:
http://www.myspace.com/morasmodernrhythmists

They sound good. They're scheduled for Camp Hollywood 2008. I wonder if they've played there before. If so, I would have heard them.
Foehg
unemployed

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

popthestack wrote:
Weird. Yeah, I've verified the URL and it's right, and their site really is down. I guess it happens some times.
popthestack wrote:
They're scheduled for Camp Hollywood 2008. I wonder if they've played there before.
Signs point to 2005.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
popthestack
Danger

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foehg wrote:
popthestack wrote:
Weird. Yeah, I've verified the URL and it's right, and their site really is down. I guess it happens some times.

Yeah, I searched google to verify and that site came up. Oh well.

Foehg wrote:
popthestack wrote:
They're scheduled for Camp Hollywood 2008. I wonder if they've played there before.
Signs point to 2005.

I was there. Whaddya know.
Foehg
unemployed

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of the Loose Marbles...
Honorary JBJ
addict

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foehg wrote:
]I heartily recommend Mora's Modern Rhythmists. I was introduced to them through their cover of Wingy Manone's "Tarpaper Stomp", which Falty choreographed his jazz steps to for the Rockin' in Rhythm weekend.

http://www.myspace.com/morasmodernrhythmists

They sound good. They're scheduled for Camp Hollywood 2008. I wonder if they've played there before. If so, I would have heard them.[/quote]

They are way good... Needless to say if they are booked for Camp Hollywood... I mean come on.

I also like Jonathon Stout Orchetra. And Stompy Jones is always goo (they aren't a big band, but they cover a lot of Louie Jordan songs.. and Pops will always have a place in my heart!)

"I'm selfish, impatient, and a little insecure. I make mistakes. I am out of control and at times hard to handle, but if you can't handle me at my worst... then you don't deserve me at my best." -Marilyn Monroe-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
popthestack
Danger

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honorary JBJ wrote:
I also like Jonathon Stout Orchetra. And Stompy Jones is always goo (they aren't a big band, but they cover a lot of Louie Jordan songs.. and Pops will always have a place in my heart!)

Ah, thanks.

haha
Foehg
unemployed

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So apparently, bits and pieces of the Loose Marbles used to be in the Dead Man Street Orchestra, and you can find about an album's worth of recordings by them here:

http://www.spaz.org/streetorchestra/wherescorey
Honorary JBJ
addict

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

popthestack wrote:
Honorary JBJ wrote:

Ah, thanks.

haha

not you ryan.... Pops the lead singer of the band (he's currently not touring with them due to health issues)... Gosh! The world doesn't revolve around you!

"I'm selfish, impatient, and a little insecure. I make mistakes. I am out of control and at times hard to handle, but if you can't handle me at my worst... then you don't deserve me at my best." -Marilyn Monroe-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
popthestack
Danger

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honorary JBJ wrote:
popthestack wrote:
Honorary JBJ wrote:

Ah, thanks.

haha

not you ryan.... Pops the lead singer of the band (he's currently not touring with them due to health issues)... Gosh! The world doesn't revolve around you!

whatever!!1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Swing Utah Forum Index -> Bands All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: