View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan B.
unemployed

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THE WINE CELLAR
is proud to present, one night only and his only show in UTAH

MR ANDREW "JR BOY" JONES

!!! TUESDAY SEPT 12TH, 8PM !!!

Guitarist, songwriter and singer Andrew "Jr. Boy" Jones began working professionally at age 16 with Freddie King's backing band, the Thunderbirds. He got his first guitar from his uncle, jazz musician Adolphus Sneed. Jones cites an eclectic array of influences: Freddie King, Cornell Dupree and Larry Carlton. For many years, he's backed various Dallas-area vocalists on guitar, but in the mid-1990s, he came into his own as a vocalist with an album for JSP Records, I Need Time (1997), which showcases his crafty songwriting, great guitar playing, and powerful singing.

In 1967, Jones joined Dallas-area vocalist Bobby Patterson's outfit, the Mustangs. Through most of the 1970s, Jones backed various artists, including Patterson, Johnnie Taylor and Charlie Robertson. In late 1987, he went to California and joined the Silent Partners with bassist Russell Jackson and drummer Tony Coleman, the latter of whom is best known for his work with B.B. King's orchestra. Jones recorded with Bay-area piano player and singer Katie Webster on her critically praised Alligator Records album, Swamp Boogie Queen.

Jones met harmonica player Charlie Musselwhite at a Sonny Rhodes recording session, and Musselwhite persuaded him to stay in California and join his band. Jones played guitar on Musselwhite's three late-1980s/early-1990s albums for Alligator Records (Ace of Harps, In My Time, and Signature). He also had the chance to do some extensive world touring with the harmonica master.

Jones left Musselwhite's band amicably in the mid-1990s and is now back in Dallas, where he accompanies Dallas-area blues singers like R.L. Griffin, Hal Harris and the Lowlifers, and others.

CLICK THIS LINK FOR AN INTERESTING INTERVIEW WITH JR BOY
http://www.geocities.com/jrboyjones/interview.html

Andrew "Jr Boy" Jones is a Dallas native who got his first break playing in Freddie King's band at the age of 16. He later joined The Silent Partners and backed Katie Webster on one of her Alligator releases. He also led the Charlie Musselwhite Band for 8 years, toured the world, and shared in the honor of winning Band of the Year at the W.C. Handy Awards. He has been pursuing a solo career for the last several years with his first CD coming out on JSP in 1996. That CD was later leased to Bullseye and he then recorded a second CD for them. "Jr Boy" is one of the most creative blues guitarists on the scene today. His career has been hamstrung by booking agent problems, but he finally seems on track to become one of the great blues stars of the future. Junior has recently released a live CD on 43rd Big Idea Records.

$6 MEMBERS -$10 NON MEMBERS

FROM THE KEYBOARD OF BAD BRAD WHEELER

When I was a kid I used to hear stories of various Blues Bands and Blues Musicians who used to travel through Ogden to play the old GREY MOOSE PUB, all before I was of age to take advantage of the situation. These artist included people such as Coco Montoya, Smokey Wilson, William Clarke, Jr Watson. These stories were told to me in an almost mythic like tone, with reverence to a time when people didn't need to be told who these Blues guys were- it was known that the Moose was the spot for Blues in Ogden and that if Kelly ( the owner of the Grey Moose) had booked the show then you don't even need to ask if its good, and you sure as hell didn't wanna miss it - nor get there late. It wasn't just Roby Kap ( the Ogden Blues Godfather ) that I heard these stories from- Ive heard them from numerous O-Towners, and I mean numerous. Damn near anyone over the age of 40 and who has lived in Ogden since the 80's has got a story about the Grey Moose. The one story that always seemed to top all others when the discussion of music would come up would be the one about the night Charlie Musselwhite came to town with his band, lead by Mr. Andrew "JR BOY" Jones.

To this day if you were to ask Roby Kap what was one of the greatest Blues moments in his lifetime - he would more than likely tell you "the night I got up and jammed with Charlie Musselwhite's band at the old Grey Moose pub, me and JR BOY --TORE THE HOUSE DOWN !," If you were to take a survey amongst all of the old Grey Moose patrons you would more than likely get the same story from all of them. I'm telling you folks- this show has become a legendary moment not just for O-towners, but Ive even heard Andrew talk about it himself, as matter of fact he even spoke about it over the radio from his live broadcast from the Dead Goat Saloon back in 97. Apparently the moment even left Charlie Musselwhite speachless according to some folks.

Well folks its been almost 20 years since JR BOY has been to Ogden, the Grey Moose pub is gone, so is Salt Lake City's Legendary Dead Goat Saloon- but Roby Kap is still breathing and walking the Earth- and Ogden in my book is still a BLUES TOWN. What I'm trying to get at folks is that this Tuesday I'm betting that this gig at the Wine Cellar is gonna be a BONA-FIDE SHIN-DIG of proportions that were gonna have to talk about as well for the next 20 years.

Someone call Roby and tell him Jr Boys coming-

THE WINE CELLAR
2550 WASHINGTON BLVD, OGDEN UT 84401-BSMT

BRAD WHEELER badbradwheeler@yahoo.com
Dan B.
unemployed

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BLUES NEWS

Blues News, is compiled weekly by myself Brad Wheeler and is a feature of KRCL community radio station, aired every Monday night at 9:00pm, on 90.9 fm. If you would like to have something posted on Blues News please email me at badbradwheeler@yahoo.com . For our friendís at the Utah D.A.B.C, ď*Ē denotes a private club for members. Remember if you donít love the blues you gotta a hole in your soul.
More Al Green, Less Al Qaeda

MONDAY OCT 23RD

Red, White and Blues and Cross Roads on KRCL 90.9 FM from 8:30 to 11;30..........Utah's only alternative, independant, non-commercial and non-coporate radio station!

TUESDAY OCT 24TH

SCOTT HOLT @ THE SUN & MOON CAFE up Emigration Canyon ( Scott Holt is formerly Buddy Guys lead Guitar player and Band Leader )

WEDNESDAY OCT 25TH

ROBY KAP @ THE SUMMIT LOUNGE* at the Court Yard Marriot in Layton
the LEGENDARY PORCH POUNDERS @ the IRON HORSE 3611 Washington blvd Ogden Ut
TIM WRAY @ THE HOG WALLOW 3200e BIG COTTONWOOD CANYON
JAKE DREIER @ the BAYOU, 645 S State. SLC

THURSDAY OCT 26TH

ROBY KAP & THE OXY-COTTON PICKERS WEEKLY BLUES JAM @ the KOKOMO* club located on Historic 25th street Ogden Ut
ACOUSTIC OPEN MIC NIGHT @ PATS BBQ, Hosted by Zach Parrish
MACEO PARKER @ SUEDE 1612 Ute blvd, Kimball Junction

FRIDAY OCT 27TH

ROBY KAP @ PATS BBQ every Friday for lunch -ONE YEAR ANNIVERSARY
SCHOOL OF ROCK HALLOWEEN SHOW @ PATS BBQ
BLUES ON FIRST @ the Zanzibar 679 s 200 w SLC
IDES o' SOUL @ the OWL at SUNDANCE
the KAP BROS @ the SPUR 350 1/2 Main Street.
the LEGENDARY PORCH POUNDERS @ the WINE CELLAR 2550 Washington blvd.

SATURDAY OCT 28TH

SCHOOL OF ROCK HALLOWEEN SHOW @ PATS BBQ
BLUES ON FIRST @ the SIDECAR. Park City
IDES o' SOUL @ the SPUR 350 1/2 mainstreet
the HITCHING POST @ off the Highway, Morgan UT

SUNDAY OCT 29TH

DAN THE MAN'S BLUES JAM @ the WINE CELLAR 2550 Washington blvd. CANCELED

MONDAY OCT 30TH

ZANZIBAR BLUES JAM RETURNS- NEXT MONDAY NOVEMEBER THE 6TH, HOSTED BY UTAH ZACH PARRISH and FRIENDS

Great Harpist Snooky Pryor Passes
Our friend Snooky Pryor passed away about 1am this morning, October 19. Only in the last few years has Snooky Pryor finally begun to receive full credit for the mammoth role he played in shaping the amplified Chicago blues harp sound during the postwar era. He's long claimed he was the first harpist to run his sound through a public-address system around the Windy City ó and since nobody's around to refute the claim at this point, we'll have to accept it! He's still quite active musically, having cut two potent discs for Austin, TX-based Antone's Records in recent years. James Edward Pryor... <more>

Sierra Center Stage Comes to PBS
"Sierra Center Stage" will be broadcast on most of the 350 PBS stations in the U.S. The series, modeled somewhat on the popular "Austin City Limits" program, incorporates live performances, interviews, and conversations with and about each featured artist. The shows were filmed at the "Big Room," a state-of-the-art performance theater in the Sierra Nevada Brewery in Chico, California. Each station sets its own broadcast times, but the series is scheduled to begin in many markets in the next week or two. About half the stations will pick up the series in thirteen weeks, when "Austin City... <more>

Greaserdoll
addict

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing

James and I really appreciate when you post (weekly?) Smile Thanks for all the updates.

xoxo
Jessa Belle
Dan B.
unemployed

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greaserdoll wrote:
Laughing

James and I really appreciate when you post (weekly?) Smile Thanks for all the updates.

.......glad you guys get something out of it. It's great info that Brad sends out on a semi-regular basis. He kinda does his work/hobby under the colorfull umbrella of KRCL's programing........and KRCL is way into the Blues....and the local Blues music scene (which is suprisingly really good and prolific) as well as lots and lots of other great non-corporate music, and a bit of non-corporate comunity info,service projects, national and international news; it kinda has the feel of a Mom & Pop natural health food store.....but for radio. Check it out sometime: KRCL 90.9 FM on the dial or on the web where you can see their day to day programing. But for sure the Blues programing is to die for; everything from Rock-a-Billy to Delta to Mountain to Contemporary to West Coast to Countryish Blues. "Roots and Blues" Monday through Thursday 1:30 to 3 PM, "Red, White and Blues" from 9 to 10:30 PM on Mondays and "Crossroads" from 11:30 to 12:30 PMon Monday.

later.
T_Roach
not all roaches are bad

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been jammin quite a bit to Roots and Blues since this summer. Plus I was way surprised to find a Taiwanese radio show on Wednesday nights at 7:00 or so. Very Happy FAR from blues but way fun for me to listen to.

American Roots on NPR (90.1) is still my all-time fave with Riverwalk Jazz at 7:00 being my second all-time fave.
Dan B.
unemployed

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

T_Roach wrote:

American Roots on NPR (90.1) is still my all-time fave with Riverwalk Jazz at 7:00 being my second all-time fave.

Oh yeah, NPR....National Petroleum (owned and oporated) Radio.........great station too!......as far as the music goes that is.
Greaserdoll
addict

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing

I listen to both alot. l I need to buy a protable radio for work so I can listen to the Roots segment though during the day. Thanks for the heads up!

xoxo
Jessa Belle
Dan B.
unemployed

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BLUES NEWS

Blues News, is compiled weekly by myself Brad Wheeler and is a feature of KRCL community radio station, aired every Monday night at 9:00pm, on 90.9 fm. If you would like to have something posted on Blues News please email me at badbradwheeler@yahoo.com . For our friendís at the Utah D.A.B.C, ď*Ē denotes a private club for members. Remember if you donít love the blues you gotta a hole in your soul.

MONDAY OCTOBER 30

Red, White and Blues and Cross Roads on KRCL 90.9 FM from 8:30 to 11;30..........Utah's only alternative, independant, non-commercial and non-coporate radio station!

TUESDAY OCTOBER 31

None.

WEDNESDAY NOVEMBER 1

the IDES O' SOUL @ the PORT O' CALL

THURSDAY NOVEMBER 2

ROBY KAP & THE OXY-COTTON PICKERS WEEKLY BLUES JAM @ the KOKOMO* club located on Historic 25th street Ogden Ut
ZACH & ZIGGY's ACOUSTIC BLUES JAM @ PATS BBQ 155w 2125s
DAN WELDON SINGER SONGWRITTER SHOWCASE @ the WINE CELLAR 2550 Washington blvd.

FRIDAY NOVEMBER 3

ROBY KAP @ PATS BBQ every Friday for lunch
MOUNTAIN MAN LEGENDS DR. MONGO & HARRY HARPOON @ PATS BBQ 155w Commonwealth 2125s
JOE McQUEEN & FRIENDS @ the WINE CELLAR 2550 Washington
ZACH PARRISH BLUES BAND @ the ZANZIBAR 679s 200w
the KAP BROS @ ROY EAGLES, Roy Utah
JAKE DREIER @ THE IRON HORSE 3611 Washington Blvd. Ogden
THE LEGENDARY PORCH POUNDERS @ THE OWL BAR Sundance Ski Resort
BLUES JAM @ WILLIES LOUNGE 1716 s Main 8:30

SATURDAY NOVEMBER 4

MOUNTAIN MAN LEGENDS DR. MONGO & HARRY HARPOON @ PATS BBQ 155w Commonwealth 2125s
BLUES ON FIRST @ THE OWL BAR SUNDANCE SKI RESORT
BAD LUCK BLUES BAND @ THE CABANA CLUB, 31e 400s SLC
JAKE DREIER @ THE IRON HORSE 3611 Washington Blvd. Ogden

SUNDAY NOVEMBER 5

the LEGENDARY PORCH POUNDERS @ the IRON HORSE 3611 Washington blvd. 2-5PM
KRCL RADIOTHON ROOTS N BLUES APPRICEATION PARTY @ SUGAR HOUSE BBQ 5- 8PM
BLUES JAM @ WILLIES LOUNGE 1716 s Main 7pm

MONDAY NOVEMBER 6

BLUES JAM AT THE ZANZIBAR @ THE ZANZIBAR, - hosted by Zach Parrish and friends- DONT MISS IT BABY- USE IT OR LOSE IT !

Greaserdoll
addict

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing

Hey Dan do you know who the painter is of those pictures of the black singer. Those are amazing. I would love to buy one.??

PS can you tell us more about the blues night at Zanabar on Monday the 5th??? That looks cool.

xoxo
Jessa Belle
Dan B.
unemployed

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greaserdoll wrote:
Laughing

Hey Dan do you know who the painter is of those pictures of the black singer. Those are amazing. I would love to buy one.??

PS can you tell us more about the blues night at Zanabar on Monday the 5th??? That looks cool.

Sorry Greazzzee, can't tell you anything about those pieces or any of the pieces that Brad posts on his news letter. I am sure however, that if you write to Bad Brad and express your interest in the art he posts that he'll respond.

Also, this Blues Jam a Zanzabar is the first I've heard in Blues News. Different musicians and band leaders have put together a few of these events around town, one being the Blues Jam at the Hogswallow that I used to go to. If you like improv and a mishmash of Blues artists then you may like this event......of course I'm sure they're all different. But hey, try it, u got nothin to lose. And let me know how it is!
Greaserdoll
addict

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing

Sweet thanks Dan... I will email him today. Smile If I go to the Blues event I will let you know.

xoxo
Jessa Belle
Dan B.
unemployed

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BLUES NEWS

OR AT LEAST VOTE TUESDAY !

MONDAY NOVEMBER 6TH

TONIGHT- SALT LAKE CITY-TONIGHT
ZACH PARRISH
& FRIENDS
HOST
BLUES JAM/OPEN MIC
@ CLUB ZANZIBAR

EVERY MONDAY NIGHT-USE IT OR LOSE IT

TUESDAY NOVEMEBER 7TH

VOTE DAMN IT !

WEDNESDAY NOVEMBER 8TH

THURSDAY NOVEMEBR 9TH

FRIDAY NOVEMEBER 10TH

THE ZACH PARRISH BLUES BAND @ PATS BBQ -7-9PM 155W 2125 S SLC
THE LEGENDARY PORCH POUNDERS @ the OWL BAR, Sundance UT
the IDES O' SOUL @ Club CELCIUS, Park City
KENJI AHIRA TRIO (JAZZ) @ THE WINE CELLAR 2550 WASHINTON BLVD OGDEN
CARRIE SCOTT & THE RED HOTS @ the ZANZIBAR 679s 200w SLC

SATURDAY NOVEMBER 11TH

THE K-LINERS @ PATS BBQ- (not BLUES but definetly ROOTS- featruing ex-members of the TRIGGER LOCKS)
BLUES ON FIRST + THE LEGENDARY PORCH POUNDERS @ the SPUR, in Park City
the KAP BROS BAND @ JACKS RIVER PUB, Evanston Wy

SUNDAY NOVEMBER 12TH

DAN THE MANS BLUES JAM @ the WINE CELLAR, 2550 Washington

MONDAY NOVEMEBR 13TH

ZACH PARRISH, MATT PARRISH, RICARDO & BAD BRAD WHEELER- HOST THE BLUES JAM @ CLUB ZANZIBAR- Dont miss

TUESDAY NOVEMBER 14TH

RED TOP WOLVERINE
CD- RELEASE PARTY @ BURTS TIKI LOUNGE
FRIDAY NOVEMBER 18TH

Dan B.
unemployed

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TONIGHT
AND EVERY WEDNESDAY NIGHT

THE LEGENDARY
PORCH POUNDERS

HUMP DAY SPECIAL REVEUE
THIS WEEKS REASON TO PARTY: DON RUMSFELDS RETIREMENT PARTY

AT
THE HORSE
3611 WASHINGTON BLVD OGDEN UTAH
A PRIVATE CLUB FOR MEMBERS & MUSIC LOVERS

DONT LAUGH MR, YOUR GRANDMA MIGHT BE IN THERE

Dan B.
unemployed

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thee above post is for Bad Brad's very own Blues duo....The Legendary Porch Pounders, and they do pound porch! Very soulfull Blues, Harmica and steel stringed slide guitar. Check it out if you're in the area.
Dan B.
unemployed

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BLUES NEWS

MONDAY NOVEMEBER 13TH

Red, White and Blues and Cross Roads on KRCL 90.9 FM from 8:30 to 11:30..........Utah's only alternative, independent, non-commercial and non-coporate radio station!

BLUE DEVILS BLUES REVIEW BLUES JAM @ club ZANZIBAR 679s 200w SLC

Roots & Blues logo

RW&B logo

Crossroads logo

TUESDAY NOVEMBER 14TH

WILLIES BLUES JAM @ WILLIES LOUNGE, 1716s State SLC
LISA MARIE @ PATS BBQ- lunch gig 155w 2125s SLC

WEDNESDAY NOVEMBER 15TH

THURSDAY NOVEMBER 16TH

WEST OGDEN SCOTTY @ PATS BBQ-lunch gig 155w 2125s SLC
DAN WELDON @ THE WINE CELLAR 2550 Washington blvd Ogden
BLUES ON FIRST @ club ZANZIBAR 679s 200w SLC
PATS BBQ OPEN JAM w/ ZACH & ZIGGY @ PATS BBQ 155w 2125s Commonwealth SLC
HOG JAM - with the JAKE DREIER BAND @ the HOG WALLOW, 3200e Big Cottonwood Road

Illustrated Blues logo

FRIDAY NOVEMBER 17TH

ALBERT JAMES & THE ACES @ PATS BBQ, 155w 2125s Commonwealth SLC
the KAP BROS @ the IRON HORSE 3611 Washington blvd Ogden Ut
the SUN HOUSE HEALERS @ SULTANS TAVERN, Logan

SATURDAY NOVEMBER 18TH

BLUES ON FIRST @ PATS BBQ, 155w 2125s Commonwealth SLC
the LEGENDARY PORCH POUNDERS @ club ZANZIBAR,
the JAKE DREIER BAND @ the AVENUES BISTRO- SLC
RED TOP WOLVERINE @ BURTS TIKI LOUNGE, 726s State SLC
the SUN HOUSE HEALERS @ SULTANS TAVERN, Logan
the KAP BROS @ the IRON HORSE 3611 Washington blvd Ogden Ut

SUNDAY NOVEMBER 19TH

the LEGENDARY PORCH POUNDERS @ the IRON HORSE, Sunday School for Sinners 3611 Washington Blvd Ogden

MONDAY NOVEMBER 20TH

BLUE DEVILS BLUES REVIEW BLUES JAM @ club ZANZIBAR 679s 200w SLC

TUESDAY NOVEMBER 21ST

ANDREW "JR BOY" JONES
@ the SUN & MOON CAFE- 5195 EMIGRATION CANYON
NOVEMBER 27TH, 7-10PM
RSVP @ 801-583-8331

Last edited by Dan B. on Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:24 pm; edited 3 times in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Swing Utah Forum Index -> Bands All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: