Utah bands list
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flatfoot
needs an intervention

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New Deal doesn't impress me as much as it does every one else. I want a band that can improv and they seem to have pretty much the same length songs all about three mins and all quite simular tempos.

T_Roach
not all roaches are bad

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buzz wrote:
SpecialK wrote:
Part of the problem with the fast tempo's was the slick floor in the Grand building of the fair grounds. We need to take a dust mop to it next year. But I don't have any problem bringing them back. I think I danced to every song they played this year.

They did SO much better this year than the year before. I think sending them that letter was extremely helpful.

oh yeah, the one that asked them to play 3-4 minute songs and keep the tempo down a bit? Wink New Deal and SLO Jazz Orchestra are definitely some of the highest quality jazz/classical/etc musicians in the state. imo New Deal's cool cuz they like and cater to dancers and don't play the usual "In the Mood" kinda tunes. I mean WHO plays Minnie the Moocher's Wedding Day??! That was so cool! Most of all, I appreciate their solid, tight rhythm section (i can't stand dancing to a weak sauce rhythm section). It an extra bonus to hear Dr. Feelgood rave about them a year ago. Not to say that people aren't justified in not liking them. Those are just my two cents from last year. What were some other people's responses to them this year? I missed out on most of the night Sad The last hour was great though Very Happy

Quote:
What band is the best band here in Utah?

SLC Jazz Orchestra rocked my world when they backed Dee Daniels at the SLC Jazz Fest a couple years ago (thanks to Erin for dancing with me for some of that). Dee had lost her charts sometime during the flight so she had to use SLO's charts with only one morning to rehearse! Coulda fooled me because it sounded seemless! Their stellar rendition of Sweet Georgia Brown still brings a smile to my face and some pep to my step. She told me she'd love to come back to Utah and play a concert just for dancers. If we did that, members of the SLCJO would the best group to back her since they're familiar with each other.

Bob Bailey is own of the most legendary musicians in the state (and rightfully so), despite being lesser known to the non-jazz world. And such a story teller. I've NEVER seen anyone improv like him before. Surprised
halls
regular

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

New Deal- I didn't make it this year to dance to them but I wasn't too impressed when I danced to them last year. It drove me crazy that the guy would spend more time explaining the entire history of the song then actually playing the song. Maybe he didn't do that this year though.
Foehg
unemployed

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He did a little bit, but I thought it was interesting and not too long. Maybe if he does it next time, I'll think it's too long, though... Smile
lady_zoz
junior

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New Voodoo Swing Orchestra

Has anyone heard them? Are they good?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Honorary JBJ
addict

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lady_zoz wrote:
New Voodoo Swing Orchestra

Has anyone heard them? Are they good?

That sounds like a name ripped from neo swing bands. But no I haven't heard of them or heard them.

"I'm selfish, impatient, and a little insecure. I make mistakes. I am out of control and at times hard to handle, but if you can't handle me at my worst... then you don't deserve me at my best." -Marilyn Monroe-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Swing Utah Forum Index -> Bands All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: