Need to identify a type of dance for my wedding...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
g8trjasonb
lurker

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:11 am    Post subject: Need to identify a type of dance for my wedding... Reply with quote

I live in Florida and recently proposed to my fiance in Utah and when I was up there, she took me to Studio 600 in SLC for their Thursday country music night. I don't know the first thing about country swing dancing, so she taught me a couple of things, but obviously I still wasn't ready to take it to the dance floor so I spent most of the evening watching her dance with some friends. We are set to be married in the SLC temple at the end of September, but until then, we are 2500 miles apart.Crying or Very sad But before our wedding day, I would like to take some lessons here in FL and surprise her at our wedding. However, when I asked her what kind of dance this is, she just said its country swing with some Lindy and west coast influence. I've been trying to find some videos on youtube and have had a hard time finding much, but I did find this one, which looks to be pretty close and refers to it as Rodeo Swing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mIEJAjz9mA

Can anyone give me more info or confirm for me that the country swing dancing at Studio 600 is called just that so that I can properly explain what I'm seeking to learn to a dance instructor? Thanks Wink
Foehg
unemployed

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, Jason. Sorry it took me so long to get back to you-- the boards have been kind of dead around here lately. =/

First off, congratulations!

I've never heard of anything called "Rodeo Swing", but asking for "country swing dance" should be fine to get you what they do at 600.

BUT! My personal and expert opinion is: you shouldn't worry what other people are doing at studio 600. Find some kind of dance (ANY kind of partner dance) that you like to do, and learn it well enough that you can dance with confidence. It sounds like your girl knows lindy hop, and west-coast, and country swing, and mixes them all freely together-- I bet she'll be passably able to follow whatever you throw at her.

Don't worry about what other people are doing. Don't worry about what you did that one time. Just get a good dance. And make it your dance.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Swing Utah Forum Index -> Dance Talk All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: