upgrading utah swing news

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Swing Utah Forum Index -> Tech Support and Testing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
T_Roach
not all roaches are bad

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:38 pm    Post subject: upgrading utah swing news Reply with quote

who'd be interested in helping aggregate/combine forces with swing news in utah?

if we could put the right people together, i'd like to see all the facebook pages, twitter accounts, emails, forum posts, blogs, etc... aggregated via RSS feeds. it shouldn't be too hard once we put our heads together (ouch!).

(i'm clicking "notify me when a reply is posted" because i don't login here enough Smile )
Foehg
unemployed

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Count me in.

I'm not responsible for any of the news updates any more, and don't know of a useful aggregating technology off the top of my head, but I'll certainly help you herd the requisite hepcats.

The time was when this forum filled that role nicely, but its age is showing...
T_Roach
not all roaches are bad

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Ransom.

The ways I could see us improving communication in our scene are similar to what I'm seeing and using in the online diabetes community.

Any time a news item, a blog post, or a new forum thread is posted on the Ning-based TuDiabetes.org it's automatically posted on Twitter and Facebook. Some people follow the discussions on the main site, some on Twitter, some on Facebook, etc... The only problem I see is that discussions can get a little fragmented sometimes if people are commenting here, there, or elsewhere. Disqus can be a solution to that problem though. (Thanks to BobtheCow for Disqus.)

I've set up something similar with our Ask Ginny Diabetes Q&A. I currently host it on blogspot, which automatically posts on Twitter and Facebook and these are embedded on our health.utah.gov site.

I figure we could set up a similar integration within our community.

How is http://www.danceutah.info/ set up? Something similar?
DanceUtah
lurker

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:41 pm    Post subject: DanceUtah wants to help! Reply with quote

Dance Utah is set up to be a hub of information for the entire dance community for the purpose of creating a bigger net for the general public so they can be channeled to the dance offerings that suit them best. Anyone can post and I am always looking for unbiased individuals to help keep it going... ambassadors if you will.

Dance Utah trades links, syndicates rss feeds, has a Twitter account, facebook account, various other accounts and is looking to partner with anyone to make the dance community better.

I expect every dance entity to have there own independent control/voice/business plan. Dance Utah seeks to find a bigger audience for each of those independent voices.

Networking is an incredible power and necessary these days. I simply can't post everyones info for them, but the Dance Utah site is available to the community. Paid advertising campaigns and other ways to reach the general public, colleges, high schools, etc are in the plans.

Let me know how we can work together!
T_Roach
not all roaches are bad

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad that we're at least coordinating! Thanks for the great description. I hope that we can learn from your marketing efforts.

Now, how to get the right people together...

P.S. One other tool I've been wondering about is Echo. Looks very similar to Disqus. Has anyone tried it?
savoyem
unemployed

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a good idea Grant. Let me know if I can help in anyway. I'm not good with the programming stuff though.
not all roaches are bad

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm still game, but i think we would need access to the backend of the site, the facebook pages, and the twitter account. then make sure we've got guidance from the scene leaders and we could rock 'n' roll.

that reminds me. isn't it tragic that byu has a super smooth, custom designed, and COOL LOOKING website and they it's got cobwebs all over it. tragic. No
Foehg
unemployed

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

T_Roach wrote:
i'm still game, but i think we would need access to the backend of the site, the facebook pages, and the twitter account. then make sure we've got guidance from the scene leaders and we could rock 'n' roll.

that reminds me. isn't it tragic that byu has a super smooth, custom designed, and COOL LOOKING website and they it's got cobwebs all over it. tragic. No

The problem with Facebook is I'm not sure there's much of a backend to access. You do stuff by hand anyway, and I don't think it integrates very well with outside stuff. If I'm wrong about that, then we can get Emily Autumn on board and sail away; she does most of the facebook updates for the BYU club these days.

BYU's website actually had a post from a commercial spammer the other day. =(
T_Roach
not all roaches are bad

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What stuff do you have to do by hand on FB? It's very RSS Feed friendly.

As for spammers, yeah, they get sneakier and sneakier.
Foehg
unemployed

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not as RSS-friendly as it used to be-- try and find an RSS feed of your friends' status updates these days. I'm lucky I got mine back when they were making them.

You might be able to get an RSS feed to integrate into the wall of the group (I haven't checked recently) but a lot of the facebook goodness is happening via mass-messages to group members that have more-or-less supplanted the old email list.

Good luck trying to key that off RSS. =(
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Swing Utah Forum Index -> Tech Support and Testing All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: