New swing music

View previous topic :: View next topic  
apmaurosr
lurker

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 7:06 am    Post subject: New swing music Reply with quote

Feel free to visit to see a few "homemade" videos to my jazz/swing music.

http://www.youtube.com/user/apmaurosr

or, have a listen to more (free) music at:

http://www.tunecore.com/music/anthonypmaurosr

I hope you enjoy.

Feedback welcomed!
Anthony P Mauro Sr
Foehg
unemployed

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm gonna go ahead and move this to "Music Talk" -- other sections need love, too. =)

It has a steady beat and is in 4/4, which is more than I can say for some music that's been offered. The groove is a bit too east-coast-swing for me, though.
apmaurosr
lurker

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback (and, yes, I'm on the east coast.) LOL

I guess I should clarify the reason for posting. It is to learn if people enoy the music; melody, lyrics, beat. It's the quality of the song and song writing that I'm interested in hearing feedback and whether it stirs people.

As you know, the elements of music are as much about the instruments as about the composition and lyrics.

The music is free for the listening and perhaps if it touches people a cd will be undertaken.

Thanks, again.
Foehg
unemployed

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish we could give you a warmer welcome, but the forum is a bit sparse these days.

This is the Internet, so I'm gonna give it to you straight:

My interests lie (stylistically) elsewhere, and I personally am unlikely to ever be stirred be, be moved by, or dance to music you produce along these lines.

That being said, I think I can offer a few pieces of constructive criticism:

1. You would do well to get some real horns to back you. The timbre of synthesized "brass" just can't compare.

2. Consider writing vocal parts that are more melodically involved. You're effectively integrating your voice into the harmony, but you haven't done anything to make a statement with it. Right now your melodic sophistication is about on a level with "You ain't nothin' but a hound dog/ Cryin' all the time", and you have so much room to reach up to "Come fly with me/ Let's float down to Peru". If you put on Presley and Sinatra, and pay attention to how they build melody with their voices, I think you'll hear what I'm talking about.

In the end, of course it all comes down to the stylistic choices that you make. You have to decide what kind of music you want to sing, and sing it whatever anybody else says, but I think these points are worth at least looking into.

Follow your dreams. Don't quit your day job.
apmaurosr
lurker

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for listening and for the constructive feedback.

I can assure you I won't be quiting my day job! Wink

As I put on my website the style is "brash and brassy" - so your point is well taken regarding vocal style.

More importantly (to me, since I know that I'm to old to hit the road and be a "vocalist") did you enjoy the "music"? Did you find the "lyrics" interesting? Did you enjoy the beat?

As for adding "real" brass" I agree. Someday when the money rolls in from my "day job" maybe I can afford to add the real brass.

Thanks again. Very Happy
apmaurosr
lurker

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI

added ballad 5/24/10
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Swing Utah Forum Index -> Music Talk All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: