New CD by the Solomon Douglas Swingtet

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Solomon
lurker

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:15 pm    Post subject: New CD by the Solomon Douglas Swingtet Reply with quote

I'm very excited to announce the availability of the second CD by my ten-piece orchestra, the Solomon Douglas Swingtet. The CD is called Live at the Legion, and includes 16 songs (more than an hour of music) recorded live at the "Stomp It Off!" dance in Vancouver, BC, Canada. Every song on the album is great for lindy hop, blues, or balboa dancing. (It's been available since June 15th, but it has taken me this long to get my Swing Utah account activated!)

You can hear excerpts from all 16 tracks and order the CD, by following the link on my website: http://solomondouglas.com/buy_CD.html . You can also order the t-shirt at http://solomondouglas.com/buy_merchandise.html .

Live at the Legion includes our versions of some old hot jazz from the 20s (Benny Moten's "South", Jelly Roll Morton's "Buffalo Blues", Ellington's "Saturday Night Function", and Bix Beiderbecke's "Singin' the Blues"), some really swinging 30s music (Ellington's "Rockin' in Rhythm", Basie's "Shorty George"), and lots of great 50s Basie (such as "Splanky", "One O'Clock Jump", and "Two for the Blues").

The band on the new album is an all-star lineup including Vancouver trumpet sensation Bria Skonberg, legendary Seattle drummer D'Vonne Lewis, New York trombone wiz-kid and recording engineer Eric Heveron-Smith, and Portland sax player (and a great bandleader in his own right) Pete Petersen, with me leading the band, playing the piano and writing all the musical arrangements.

The beautiful oil painting on the CD cover and the delightful t-shirt design are by Seattle artist Brecca Smith.

Thanks and I hope you enjoy it!

Solomon
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
T_Roach
not all roaches are bad

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bria?? Dang! I've been enjoying her on Riverwalk Jazz.

What's up with the slow forum registration. Sorry about that Solomon.
Solomon
lurker

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Bria's amazing. And, as it turns out, I feature her solos quite prominently on this album.

I only wish she were available more often. It's hard for me to hire her cause she's always in Europe or on a gig with someone famous. (Someone more famous than me, I mean. Wink )
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Swing Utah Forum Index -> Bands All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: