Overplayed Songs In utah
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpecialK
addict

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

T_Roach wrote:
i'll match your cat & the fiddles (esp. gangbusters), and add slim & slam (esp. jump sesson). good stuff, just played out.

I'm not sure we play Gangbusters that much (Maybe Gumby and roach), but it seemed like all of our ULX guest DJ's wanted to play it.
Honorary JBJ
addict

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me when I was living there it was the type of music that was overplayed.

Everyone played the same stuff just different tempos all night. Mind you I'm not one for blues or soul music, but it's still nice to change it up to like a different genre. If that makes sense. I was begging for the lindy groove groov-iness when I moved back to LA... just for a change!

"I'm selfish, impatient, and a little insecure. I make mistakes. I am out of control and at times hard to handle, but if you can't handle me at my worst... then you don't deserve me at my best." -Marilyn Monroe-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
popthestack
Danger

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honorary JBJ wrote:
For me when I was living there it was the type of music that was overplayed.

Everyone played the same stuff just different tempos all night. Mind you I'm not one for blues or soul music, but it's still nice to change it up to like a different genre. If that makes sense. I was begging for the lindy groove groov-iness when I moved back to LA... just for a change!

And I moved to NY where the biggest venue is groovy. And I hate it. And it sounds the same all night long, though I do not doubt others would disagree with me on all sorts of levels.

A few years ago when I went to Lindygroove I had the same experience. It all sounded the same.

Dancing at the Skillet didn't sound all the same to me. Neither does dancing at Camp Jitterbug or ULHS.

Am I crazy?

Perhaps.

Will anyone convince me I'm wrong?

Probably not. Personal taste is a funny thing.
i.rage
needs an intervention

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So..poppy..I see that humming noise in your ears are starting to drown out everything else Smile

As for personal taste....I don't know much about your personal taste since I am pretty sure I have not tasted you...so can't comment on that...

but DUDE! you seriously need to get that hum looked in to...

<DISCLAIMER: I am in a wierd mood today, i.e. I am feeling normal>
frutyspice
unemployed

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes
Honorary JBJ
addict

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

popthestack wrote:
A few years ago when I went to Lindygroove I had the same experience. It all sounded the same.

Dancing at the Skillet didn't sound all the same to me. Neither does dancing at Camp Jitterbug or ULHS.

I'm not saying they play a wide variety of stuff at LG I'm just saying after being at the skillet for so long and only hearing that type of music I was ready for a change.

The thing I like about LA/OC is that there is LG which is groovy then there's places like Strutters and such which play non-groovy stuff so its well rounded.

And there are a lot of DJs that play everything, except for Tip West and Sailor Mike... they play everything under the sun!!

"I'm selfish, impatient, and a little insecure. I make mistakes. I am out of control and at times hard to handle, but if you can't handle me at my worst... then you don't deserve me at my best." -Marilyn Monroe-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
savoysultan
Lindy Caper

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well In Utah you have the skillet which for the most part and especially when I dj you'll hear swing, and non groovy Lindy music. Pretty much every tempo from 100-230. Avg. Tempo when I dj is always gonna be in the pocket (160-180) range, however regardless of what tempo I play, I tend to stick to swing jazz wether it's trad,Dixie, gypsy or big band. I will play some groove here and there but for the most part, my music swings hard.

Now BYU has everything from "non traditional" swing music or non swing music like 70's groove , funk, RnB, pop and hip hop to some more pop swing (harry connick, Michael Buble and so on) to some Swing Jazz. For the most part I'd say BYU leans more towards a melting pot of music.. a little swing and a lot of everything else (not that there's anything wrong with that) So you could have traded off and gotten your variety Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Swing Utah Forum Index -> Music Talk All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: