City Dance Ideas
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bobthecow
moooooooooo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

savoysultan wrote:
And pretty much all the songs on the "Copulatin Blues" album

yep. although there are some good songs on that album.... and you can't really tell what they're singing about all the time.
savoysultan
Lindy Caper

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So true... so true... I have that whole album and I've actually played a few of those songs at dances before.. And I don't think many people noticed
popthestack
Danger

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sultan, maybe people blow in your face on purpose because your breath stinks? It's a possibility.

Traci, yes. It's because you don't have to listen hard to understand the lyrics and the meaning. I rarely listen to the words of songs, of any genre. I speak Spanish and people are always asking "hey what does this song say?" and I really have no clue. If people were to ask me the same question about songs in English, I'd have the same answer. Getting all upset over this one song is because it's so blatantly obvious. It's not an excuse for the other songs. You could play one of the other songs at a big local event and people wouldn't notice and therefore you wouldn't have people stressed over whether or not people are getting offended and aren't going to come back. We wouldn't even be having this conversation because no one would have noticed, and those who did would most likely would have written it off thinking "no one else probably got it so it's no big deal." Is that "right"? Probably not, but it's the way it is.

This post was really, really good. I'm quoting it here so everyone can read it again. No one acknowledged it.

Foehg wrote:
Trager wrote:
I'm always amazed at what people consider offensive to "people from a more traditional background." That's certainly not what I would consider it, but then again, I was raised in Philadelphia, and my parents were more concerned about me being exposed to violence and cruelty than harmless words.

An interesting use of the word "traditional", certainly. If you stop and think about it, lewdness is part of a strong tradition with ancient roots. I suspect people were making fart jokes since before the advent of the written word.

We might be able to usefully classify this as a "conservative" background. What it's conserving, and whether that's the opposite of a "liberal" background, I couldn't tell you straight off.

You've got me thinking, though. We could probably set aside moral questions (comparative profanity is always a fascinating subject...) and consider the whole incident from a more purely anthropological standpoint. Regardless of whether anyone actually went home and blogged "won't somebody please think of the children?", I think it's safe to say that there was probably a higher-than-usual concentration of people whose cultural framework includes something like "don't laugh at penis jokes in public, even if you think it's funny". Now, I wasn't there, and couldn't tell you whether the concentration was high enough to form any kind of critical mass of awkwardness, but I'm guessing the awkward-geiger was at least clicking.

Points to ponder:
    1. Does hating on the sex jokes serve any useful purpose?
    2. If not, could it? If so, when?
    3. Is this really any weirder than the norms of other cultures and communities?

I mean, try whistling in Ukraine. Anywhere outdoors, you're pretty much fine. Granted, nobody else does it, but nobody complains, either. Whistling indoors, on the other hand, is a good way to get your face bitten off. Not that anyone actually believes that whistling causes money to grow wings and fly out the window of whatever building you're in (though someone will occasionally claim that everyone else believes it)-- it's just something people don't do, and it's an express ticket on the awkward train.

Foehg
unemployed

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reminds me of the summer before last when I was taking Dance 380 up at BYU. Part of the class was ballroom thwing, and Brady, altough a better teacher than most, was a pretty lazy DJ. About the only song we ever danced to was a version of "Shake, Rattle, and Roll" that he used the stereo to slow down from jive tempo to something reasonable. After a few weeks, I was like "Is it just me, or do I keep hearing the word 'a**' in the lyrics? Is nobody else distracted by that?" Well, affirmative on all counts. I did keep hearing 'a**' in the lyrics, and it was just me-- nobody else noticed a thing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
frutyspice
unemployed

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpecialK wrote:
we want to tell people that swing dancing is a safe responsible community which they will share with their friends and children.

Lies, LIES, I tell ya!

(Random comment..... enjoy)

Oh, and Foehg, I always love your comments and insights. Very thought provoking.
Foehg
unemployed

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm amused to note that my 'profanity' has been starred out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
savoysultan
Lindy Caper

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude! My breath really stinks? Why didn't anyone tell me before??!!
Californicate
addict

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have told you countless times that your breath smells like the insides of a skunk that's been dead for 7-months... Did you not believe me?

Every time I dance with you I want to vomit.

That's why I never dance with you anymore.

It's cool though. Smile
Bug
needs an intervention

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Californicate wrote:
So... How did this go? Did they play Mambo #5? Everyone needs

A little bit of Monica in my life
A little bit of Erica by my side
A little bit of Rita is all I need
A little bit of Tina is what I see

Dood. When I was teaching ballroom at BYU my partner played that song so many freaking times during our classes. gah! no wonder I converted!
Californicate
addict

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bug wrote:

Dood. When I was teaching ballroom at BYU my partner played that song so many freaking times during our classes. gah! no wonder I converted!

I miss you, bug!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Swing Utah Forum Index -> Music Talk All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: